On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 6:48 PM Felix Miata <mrma...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> dmccunney composed on 2021-03-11 17:43 (UTC-0500):
>
> > The RAM here is all DDR4, same speed, and the only difference is one
> > stick is 8GB.  (I may add another 8GB sick at some point, but it won't
> > be soon.)
>
> > When I said I *saw* no performance difference I meant exactly that.
>
> > I have a simple attitude about stuff like this: if I cannot*perceive*
> > the difference in normal use, I don't *care*. I have better things to
> > do with the time than spend it running MEMTEST to detect a
>> performance difference I won't *notice* in use.

> > I appreciate your concern, but the only reason I ever ran MEMTEST was
> > if I had a memory fault, and the last time was years back..
>
> As fast as DDR4 is, I don't imagine many people can perceive the difference,
> especially running text DOS apps. That's why there are tools to measure with.
> If
> you don't want to know that's fine and dandy. As the old saying goes,
> ignorance is
> bliss.

I have no reason to *need* to know, which is better still.

I run a few text DOS apps, using DOSBox or vDOS Plus on my Win10
machine. But they are used occasionally.  Most usage is Win64 GUI
apps.  The most used program is my browser, and the production browser
is the current Firefox Quantum release.  (I also have current Firefox
DEveloper Edition and Firefox Nightly versions, mostly to track
development.  I also have current versions of MS Edge and Chrome.  If
I am awake and at the machine, I am usually in Firefox.

Another large application is Calibre, an open source, cross platform
application written in Pyhon, which I use to manage a large eBook
library.

I have other things like an old version of MS Office (but the only
part of that I use is Publisher to do DTP), Libre Offce, and some
other things, but they get run infrequently.

I don't compile large applications from a source tree, or do heavy
image editing in Photoshop, or video editing, and I'm not a gamer who
has a video card (or more than one) faster than my CPU..

What I am trying to imagine is what I might do on the machine where I
would actually *notice* the difference you think might be caused by
the RAM stick size mismatch.

> The first selection in my boot menus is MemTest86. I swap stuff around a lot.
> There's no fun in swapping parts if results can't be measured.

Fair enough.  I got cured of building my own PC from parts.  Current
off the shelf systems are good enough and fast enough that I don't
need to build my own to get performance.

That sort of thing is the reason why I went with Ubuntu as my Linux
distro when I was dual booting.  It did the best job I've seen in a
distro of figuring out what hardware it was being installed in,
configuring itself, and Just Working. I wanted to spend the time
*using* the system, not hacking to *make* it usable.

> Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/
______
Dennis