On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 6:28 PM Aitor Santamaría <aitor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 at 23:57, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:
>>
>> If you are interested in alive dragons, visit a Komodo Dragon.
>> Those lizards do have some dragon-like properties, but they are
>> not dinosaurs either - too "modern" species for that.

> Why wouldn't a dinosaur be modern?

Organisms live in environments.  Environments change.  The organism
either changes to adapt to the environment or becomes extinct.

> We live surrounded by some extant 10,000+ species of them which have adapted
> very well to modern times. I see and hear them every day, as most of us folks
> on this list.
> (What's more, in my personal belief, the second most alive intelligent
> species after Homo Sapiens is one of them).

Referring to Stephen J. Gould's notion that dinosaurs were the
ancestors of  birds?  (And the African Grey parrot is likely the bird
you are thinking of.)

But while they may have evolved into birds, they are no longer dinosaurs.

For an example of something that has been around a very long time and
*not* really evolved, consider the cockroach.  They've been around
since the Carboniferous Era.  The only change was getting smaller.
(Carboniferous Era cockroaches could reach 2 feet in length.) The
environment they are adapted for has been present consistently, and
they are adapted for it, so no need to radically change.

> Aitor
______
Dennis