Hi,

> On Mar 15, 2021, at 7:12 PM, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:
>

> Hi!
>
> If that means that fdnet knows which driver WOULD match
> a given PCI ID, could it DISPLAY that info and let the
> user dig up the recommended driver manually? What does
> the current fdnet version do in such cases, silently
> load another driver in the hope that the hardware would
> actually be virtual, matching one of a small set of
> standard drivers? Even then, it should probably be more
> explicit about what is happening :-)

Your giving FDNET far to much credit.

It only tests the type of Emulator and CPU type. There is an issue in the CPU
detection provided by V8Power tools. Basically, It reports all real hardware as
“Other Emulation.” I need to fix that (eventually, hopefully sooner rather than
later). When real hardware & CPU are detected (like I said--broken at present),
FDNET will just exit saying it doesn’t support that at present.

Otherwise, FDNET.BAT is basically just wrapped around an excerpt of CONECT.BAT
from Rugxulo’s MetaDOS.

Take a look, there isn’t much to it.

https://github.com/shidel/FDNET/blob/master/FDNET/BIN/FDNET.BAT
<https://github.com/shidel/FDNET/blob/master/FDNET/BIN/FDNET.BAT>  (Newer than
the one in 1.3-RC3)

I’m no DOS Networking expert.

I’d be happy have someone take the time and make FDNET better and add more
supported hardware.

Although, in the meantime, I should probably update the package description for
it to say — “Mostly to provide basic networking  support for virtual machines
(like VirtualBox and VMware)"

> And as Dean hints,
> if the user already has loaded ODI drivers, fdnet could
> detect that and load a WRAPPER, without requiring extra
> hardware drivers, as the ODI drivers already are there.
>
> Regards, Eric

I use FDNET as-is in VirtualBox and on VMware.

However on my 486 and PentiumPro, I just use it to set DHCP with “call
FDNET.BAT DHCP” after I load the vendor Packet Drivers for my NICs.

:-)

Jerome