Hi Stephanos,

> 1) I have WINE on my laptop and run several MS applications.  Is it safe
> to treat the BIOS upgrade file as an application and run it in WINE?

That will not help. Wine can run Windows apps, but you want to update
the BIOS in your real hardware, not inside a Wine window on Linux.

> 2) I could install DOS Box, which is new to me, I have the same
> question, is it safe?

It is safe but will not solve your problem. You want to update the
BIOS in your real hardware, not inside a DOSBOX window on Linux.

> 3) Is running a version of Windows, 7 perhaps, in VMWare, and then
> executing the BIOS upgrade file feasible and safe.

It is safe but will not solve your problem. You want to update the
BIOS in your real hardware, not inside a simulated VMWare PC window.

> If I cannot do above and cannot get my head around burning images to
> memory stick, then I will revert to removing Kubuntu, installing Win 7,
> running the BIOS upgrade file, praying.

It would be a lot more complicated to install Windows on your entire
computer than to install FreeDOS on a little USB stick, no? Also, your
Kubuntu will probably get lost as side-effect and Windows 7 is very
outdated, making you a target for all sorts of hacks and viruses.

As mentioned, do I understand you correctly that you have BIOS update
tools available for both DOS and Windows, but not yet for Linux? Then
an interesting choice would be to use the DOS version because you can
boot DOS from USB, which is harder for Windows.

You could even make space for a DOS partition with gparted and, after
that, boot DOS from USB or CD and install it to that partition: This
has the advantage that harddisk access is more stable than USB access
while doing BIOS maniplations.

Also, you could first install Windows and then add Kubuntu to have both.
Of course you should not boot Windows unless needed for tasks such as
BIOS updates. By installing in that order, you can have both to choose
from at each boot.

Regards, Eric