Liam,

>> it's not. I know. but it's a file format that can transport both a DOS
>> and Windows executable in the same file.

> This is not correct. In fact this tech was possible before Windows 3.0
> even launched; it was called a "family app" or "family mode".

probabaly it's a bit of hair splitting.
lets settle it at this.

>> get a copy of RUFUS for Linux.
> There is no such thing.
> https://www.how2shout.com/tools/rufus-for-linux-not-available-use-these-best-alternatives.html

Sorry, I had assumed this. But for some reasons I'm a Windows person.

Is there a reason  why no such almost trivial thing exists?
both for windows and linux, less then 500 MB?

it's basically

  FORMAT U:        // linux knows how to format FAT32
  SYS U:           // drop boot sector with "KERNEL.SYS"  and adress 0x60
  copy kernel.sys U:
  copy command.com U:
  copy himem.sys u:
  echo>config.sys DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
  echo>>config.sys DOS=HIGH,UMB

  (and admittely a bit more, but not much)

wow. 20 years into FreeDOS evolution. I'm quite impressed ;<