Hi Thomas,

> Any particular Linux flavor you suggest for this?
> (I would go for a „command line interface“ only.)

That sounds masochistic ;-) As long as you do not
need 3d accelerated drivers, a graphical desktop
for Linux should work on almost all hardware just
automatically. Of course you will need a mouse :-)
You can still go plain text with a simple hotkey.

The "usual distro" of the day would be Ubuntu, with
MINT being a spin-off and with lightweight variants
such as Xubuntu or Lubuntu which default to install
less heavy graphical things than the normal Ubuntu.
MATE also is just yet another variant.

Under the hood, those are more or less the same, you
simply get different default packages/apps installed.
If you really want to avoid Ubuntu: Fedora, OpenSUSE,
Debian, etc. are more different from Ubuntu flavors.

How much RAM, disk space and CPU speed (including
the number of cores) do you have available? In other
words, do you want something lightweigth? Or will
any widespread Linux flavor do?

Distros now tend to require at least i686, so if
you have something older than Pentium Pro or II,
that will limit the choice of distros. If you have
a 64-bit capable (x86_64) CPU, you actually get
more choice than if you do not. And for Raspberry
and other ARM CPU, you get yet other choices.

Cheers, Eric