> Am 14.04.2021 um 19:16 schrieb Ralf Quint <freedos...@gmail.com>:
>
> On 4/14/2021 9:30 AM, Thomas Desi wrote:
>> Eric, Tomas,
>> thanks for this helpful info!
>>
>> If installing Linux helps to get my files out of FreeDos
>> (hm… „free my files!!“ - or is it a "Lockdown-Dos“?), I will do.
> You do not have to "install" Linux. Just use a Live CD (my suggestion is
> still Linux Mint 20.1 Mate) and use the file manager of that to drag and drop
> stuff from your dead Windows onto your USB stick…

THIS IS GOOD NEWS!

>> My „dream“ was it to „marry“ FreeDOS with a portable USB Stick (Backup and
>> Carrying), whilst booting from a Harddisk and working on C:.
>> But maybe this is n’t so important after all, how complicated it all seems
>> to me. Daunting.
> The problem is that (Free)DOS can't properly access any Windows system of the
> last 20 years. Even with basic NTFS reader support, on Windows version Vista
> and newer, you will likely run into permission issues, which are kind of
> resolved on Linux, but will never be working in any DOS…

I erased the disk entirely and formatted it FAT32 solely for FreeDOS. So there
shouldn’t be any Windows, but maybe resident Evil needs more erasing and
partitioning than I did…?

>> NB: I wonder if there was a „USB 1.0“ Usb-Stick, if FreeDOS prefers USB 1.0?
>> Maybe Bret E. Johnson knows something? He was very helpful with his MOUSKEYS
>> application, and seems to kow about USB on Dos a lot.
>
> (Free)DOS just does't care about USB in the first place. USB just became a
> thing after DOS wasn't a thing anymore…

nice phrase! Probabely my misconception about FreeDos. I like FreeDos. It’s as
simple as FreeDos is. But: I want USB storage support.

thanks! Thomas