Hi John,
err… you might be right about this. I will have a look at it, too.

I don’t actually care so much about keybindings, because I »program« them into
my Tipro 128 PS/2 keyboard (»128«  means 128 keys available to program whatever
I want…!), so I have custom made keycaps labelled the commands, press it and
done. No querky pinky, no RSI, no fatigue or mental load on this, and AS FAST
AS HELL. I am also not so fond of the Emacs-Style double commands (e.g. ^KX or
alike), I prefer the VIM single letter commands, but then there you have the
mode-thing, which drove me nuts lately and I switched to EMACS on Mac, WIN and
LINUX (Raspberry3 Raspian) because… see above. BTW: Protext is a nice product,
too!
And! »Boček« can save in UTF-8!! (It pretends to be the only DOS Editor to be
able to save into UTF, which is VERY interesting to me.! Still active in
development seemingly!)

You are hitting the nail: It’s really annoying to me that in the moment  I
found a program (or an operating system ;) which makes me think: »This is it!«,
the itches turn up. Those little bits which make me think, its not worth to
»change« to another system or program.

Your response on VDE just arrived in time when I was thinking to sum up my
»FreeDos« experience from a complete NON-tech user perspective who always
despised  (MS-)Dos as ridiulous, like Steve Jobs thought us in his short
comercial when he tries to open a spread sheet in does and makes fun of MS-Dos
in 1992 (!) You can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMX_FuOLoCI

I will do this »resumée", maybe I can contribute somethinkg to the FreeDos
project from a perspective of a person who just wants to be productive with
FreeDos in Text composing/editing. Fullstop.

Regards,
Thomas