On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 6:59 AM Liam Proven <lpro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>[..]
> FreeDOS commands are different in places; output is different in
> places. That is fair; it is a community effort and an unauthorised
> copy of a long-obsolete OS. I have no right to demand 100%
> compatibility, and I don't. But I was surprised and annoyed by the
> differences, and since at present I only use DOS for fun, then I will
> not use something that annoys me.

FreeDOS is not "an unauthorized copy" of MS-DOS. FreeDOS is a
DOS-compatible operating system. We built FreeDOS using open
documentation and standards, such as Ralf Brown's Interrupt List
(RBIL) and printed documentation (such as the command documentation
from the printed MS-DOS user manuals).

Saying FreeDOS is "an unauthorized copy" implies that FreeDOS copied
MS-DOS source code, which is not the case. In fact, we have rejected
contributions from people who have hinted (or even joked) that they
had seen the MS-DOS source code, before Microsoft re-released the
source code to MS-DOS 1.25 and MS-DOS 2.0 via GitHub in 2018. *This
source code re-release is distributed under the MIT License (aka
"Expat" License) and is compatible with the GNU GPL. Developers who
download and study these versions of MS-DOS are welcome to contribute
to FreeDOS.

Words matter. Please do not suggest that FreeDOS "copied" the MS-DOS
source code. Instead of "unauthorized copy," you might instead say
"re-implementation."

Jim