On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 10:23 AM Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:

> >> I have just connected my Brother HL-3150CDN laser printer to my Dell>>
> >> OptiPlex GX270.
> > I used the FreeDOS "print" command, unembellished.
>
> That is only needed for background printing. A more straightforward
> way is to send the printer data to the printer port: COPY x.txt PRN
> or COPY x.pdf LPT1 or similar.

The PRINT command installed as a resident TSR.  It provided the
earliest  example I am aware of of time slicing under DOS.  (If memory
serves, you could specify the number of foreground and background
ticks for fine tuning. I believe the default was 6 and 2.)  It was
intended to ease the lives of folks doing writing they needed to
print, like secretaries,  so they didn't have to stop and sit in their
hands waiting  for a print job to finish before they could work again.
Programmers disassembled MS's code to see how they did that, and a new
class of TSR got  created.

I ran the MKS Toolkit under DOS, which provided the most complete
implementation of all the Unix commands that made sense in a single
taking environment.  When I was booted in the Toolkit, I could use
Korn shell aliases and shell functions to duplicate the functionally
of the unix lp command, including adding, stopping, and deleting print
jobs. Fun. :-)