Dear Eric:

feel free to notify the bootablecd.de maintainer that you
would prefer less contrast for the Blinky mascot background
to distract visitors less from reading the text on the page.

Yes, I've sent an e-mail request there.

Indeed ! marks
a line as "always use" while ? marks it as "ask user". Note
that there are a few bugs in the config, which I have listed
in a mail about 1.3rc3 or rc4 recently.

1?DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\JEMMEX.EXE NOEMS X=TEST I=TEST NOVME NOINVLPG
2?DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\JEMM386.EXE X=TEST I=TEST I=B000-B7FF NOVME NOINVLPG

device=DOS\JEMMEX.EXE X=TEST NOEMS

You could edit the "1..." line above by removing I=TEST NOVME NOINVLPG
to make it match the FD_NET example, while still being menu-driven: It
will still only be loaded when you select menu option 1 at boot.

Other differences worth copying are:

break=off
buffers=30
stacks=0,0

You can add those lines to your config, at any place, but for
readability, I recommend "nearby the old settings for those".
Of course, you remove the "!buffers=20" in the old config.

SHELLHIGH=C:\COMMAND.COM /E:4096 /P

That actually makes a big difference to your old

12?SHELLHIGH=C:\FDOS\BIN\COMMAND.COM C:\FDOS\BIN /E:1024 /P=C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT

The old line expects command.com to be in c:\fdos\bin\
while the FD_NET line has it in c:\ so only change the
old line if you want to use the command.com in the new
location.

Also note the different /E:.... values: They define how
much space you want for environment variables and you may
have to go from 1024 to 4096 if the network config needs
that much space.

My FreeDOS PC's FDCONFIG.SYS file now says this. Should I put `!' before the BREAK and STACKS statements?

{SET DOSDIR=C:\FDOS

!COUNTRY=061,858,C:\FDOS\BIN\COUNTRY.SYS
!LASTDRIVE=Z
BREAK=OFF
!BUFFERS=30
!FILES=40
STACKS=0,0
!MENUCOLOR=7,0

MENUDEFAULT=1,5
MENU 1 - Load FreeDOS with JEMMEX, no EMS (most UMBs), max RAM free
MENU 2 - Load FreeDOS with EMM386 (Expanded Memory) and SHARE loaded
MENU 3 - Load FreeDOS without drivers (Emergency Mode)
MENU 4 - Load FreeDOS low with some drivers (Safe Mode)

124?DOS=HIGH
12?DOS=UMB
124?DOSDATA=UMB
1?DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\JEMMEX.EXE NOEMS X=TEST
234?DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\HIMEMX.EXE
2?DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\JEMM386.EXE X=TEST I=TEST I=B000-B7FF NOVME NOINVLPG
34?SHELL=C:\FDOS\BIN\COMMAND.COM C:\FDOS\BIN /E:1024 /P=C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT
SHELLHIGH=C:\COMMAND.COM /E:4096 /P}

I assume you have already added things from the FD_NET
autoexec to your existing autoexec?

You are ahead of me! I need to hunt for such unknown magic....
--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/