> The user even has no information which disc drives are in the system.
I believe I was able to get this information, but USB was not
recognized for obvious reasons.

> No file manager is prepared and the user has no usable help.
I did have to download a file manager to get one, but dir is a good start.
Help was less helpful than man on UNIX in my experience, why I can't tell.

> The install is slow
That is interesting. I guess I didn't know how fast installs could be.
The fastest install I have ever had is Haiku, which is like lightning,
but FreeDOS install seemed pretty fast. I have no experience with
other DOSs though.

I do not know about SYSINFO. I do not use it too much. having a way to
check battery would be good on laptop.

Do you want FreeDOS to be like Hiren's boot CD? I know LiveCD is often
used for Recovery, but that seems like a sad place to end up.