On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 11:31 AM geneb <ge...@deltasoft.com> wrote:
>[..]
> On the surface of it, he's apparently asking for a "windows experience" in
> a text mode operating system.  DOS isn't a "point and drool your way to
> fame and fortune" operating system.  If he thinks this is bad, he'd have
> a stroke when presented with a non-graphical UNIX system. ;)

Let's keep this a respectful conversation and not start a "point and
drool" grudge match. :-)

Like any DOS, FreeDOS has always been a single-user "single task"
command line operating system. FreeDOS is not trying to create the
next "Windows" or become the next "Linux." FreeDOS is DOS, and that
includes all the limitations that come with DOS.

We could bolt on a graphical desktop environment onto FreeDOS, but the
"graphical desktop" discussion never goes anywhere. Some people want
*this* GUI and others want *that* GUI. We have three graphical
desktops for FreeDOS: SEAL, oZone and OpenGEM. None are actively
maintained, but OpenGEM is the most mature. When I demo'd SEAL and
oZone for the YouTube channel, I found lots of bugs still present in
both of these desktop environments. So I'd hesitate to promote either
of those as "the one and only" FreeDOS graphical desktop.

OpenGEM is nice and I believe it is quite mature. And being based on
DR-DOS GEM (and the Atari TOS) the OpenGEM user interface should be
somewhat familiar to old-school DOS users. I like OpenGEM, as much as
I might like any DOS graphical desktop. Even so, I'm not convinced
that FreeDOS needs to install a default GUI. A graphical desktop
doesn't really help you to run DOS programs. For example: when you
launch a "plain" DOS application from OpenGEM, you leave the graphical
environment. It's not like Linux or Windows where the DOS application
starts up in a "window" while you do other OpenGEM things.

Jim