I don't get what the issue with PCNTPK.COM packet driver is?

Per the amdpd.zip file at http://crynwr.com/drivers/00index.html , it is
copyright Russell Nelson 1990 w/a GPLv1 license in 1990 and copyright AMD
1993 w/a pseudo Public Domain-ish license (PCNTPK.ASM).  While not packaged
the way we expect of GPL v2 or v3 code, I think the 1990 copyright and GPL
v1 license would supersede AMD's, but IANAL.  Russell Nelson wrote many of
the drivers and/or skeletons in his collection.

If this driver from Crynwr doesn't suit you, I think many of the vendors
(IBM, HP, Compaq, Dell, etc.) in the past have had compatible drivers.
Check their driver lists and/or FTP archives.  The driver has been packaged
dozens and maybe hundreds of times.  I think AMD would sue various people &
companies if they had an issue.