Hi Joseph,
I cannot speak to freedos itself, I run MS Dos 7.1 exclusively on my p3 computer. Still, when I wish to use my external USB drive, it serves as my backup method, indeed I uncomment the dos USB driver I run in my config.sys file, turn of my machine, attach the drive, and power it on again.
I prefer doing a cold boot, rather than a warm boot.
The os then recognizes the USB drive as the next drive letter.
For example, as I have two drives each split in half my USB drive begins as drive g.
If this  is confusing, just ask.
best,
Karen