Hi Jerome,

thanks for reading the flood of mails :-)

> The warm boot is an alias in the FDAUTO. Basically, it is a line
> inherited from FreeDOS 1.1 that I’ve never bothered to change.

I think coldboot would be more reliable.

> What config bugs???
>
> I am aware of no bugs in the current config files.
>
> I have be asked to make some changes to some things to possibly increase
> compatibility
> or boost performance for some installs. Things like “please load a CD cache”
> because
> it is slow on my hardware.

Yes. No show-stoppers, but things like "the
first and recommended boot option uses daring
emm386 options and may crash for some people",
or inconsistencies between descriptions and
implementations of the different boot options.

Also please load UHDD before UDVD2 so it can
provide a cache for both harddisk and CD. If
your driver detection choses ELTORITO, also
add CDRCACHE as separate CD cache.

I personally would also appreciate loading
MORESYS, but that is of course a bit unusual.

>> See my 2021-05-03 mail on freedos-devel,
>> "Distro autoexec/config wishes for 1.3rc4" ...

> Its not really the bad

As it is difficult for me to predict which config
file contents will be used on which hardware, it
could be useful to start a thread where you post
a typical, say "real Pentium 1 or VM" style config
as copy-paste content so I can do finger-pointing
at actually used lines that seem problematic ;-)

Of course you can also wait with that until you
have integrated the updates you were going to
add anyway :-)

> For example, without pipes, you can’t do
>
> grep -i “FDAPM” *.BAT | grep -iv “COLDBOOT”

That comment was mostly about Jim's video, which
is why I had sent it only to Jim at first. Of course
one should really have a writeable temp directory,
because pipes are useful, but when people happen
to be in a situation without one, it is good if
the video also talks about how to avoid pipes.

> First, the installer does not automatically format or
> partition the HD if a existing writable drive C: is found.

So it automatically switches to "just copy files"
mode in that case? I was not aware of that based
on what I saw in the video.

> Things outside the %DOSDIR% (usually C:\FDOS) should
> be fine.

Great :-) Also, I have now watched the "advanced
installer" video from Jim. That one has almost
exactly the amount of choices I like to have in
installers, thanks :-) But see my comment above,
if the non-advanced installer will automatically
switch to overwriting only C:\FDOS without any
partitioning or formatting, that also already
covers most wishes.

Maybe the installer could check whether there is
a FreeDOS directory instead of or next to a FDOS
directory, maybe check which of them are mentioned
in config, fdconfig, autoexec or fdauto as a tie
breaker and then assist the user in selecting where
to put and/or overwrite a previous FreeDOS directory.

But that is of course just a bonus, not required.

By the way, I GUESS that you default to using
fdconfig and fdauto files instead of config and
autoexec files to reduce overlap with other OS
in a dual boot situation or when people might go
back to their other DOS later? In that case, you
should probably install command.com in the FDOS
directory, not in the root directory, to further
reduce the overlap?

Otherwise, I would recommend to use the classic
config and autoexec names. People are used to
them and some app installers actually edit the
config files so it is good if they can be found
automatically.

I think if you find pre-existing files of either
or both names, you could ask the user what the
installer should do: Keep, rename, overwrite etc.

As far as I understood Jim's video, you already
have a similar question in the installer, but it
was not clear for me whether that is about the
boot files, config files, FDOS directory or all.
In particular, does ZIP-ing (or renaming?) the
previous files include the FDOS directory? Or is
it only about boot and config files?

About the "red alert" theme: Just mention
the word "advanced" somewhere on screen.
People may not stay aware that "red" is
a reference to that difference, even if
they had to manually start "SETUP ADV".

Which brings me to the next question, why
not put that choice in the interactive
installer menu? As far as I understood
the video, people have to abort install
to get to a prompt, then manually start
advanced install, that is less intuitive.

> I’ve been revisiting my thoughts on this lately...
>
> There are many users who want to always see
> every option when installing FreeDOS.
>
> However, the overwhelming majority of users are
> running FreeDOS in some sort of VM and...

Depends. If they simply see the options of
base and full automated install and advanced
install with more choices, everybody can be
happy :-)

> There is a third option to consider
>
> Detection of a QEMU, VirtualBox and VMWare

How about Bochs? DOSEMU2? DOSBOX? Why would
you assume that people with VM have different
needs than people with plain hardware?

I think your main argument is that people with
VM tend to make empty VM from scratch and want
a simple way to throw DOS on empty disks without
having to answer too many questions.

But that applies also to people with empty
harddisks on real hardware.

Also, people with VM can easily already have
data on their virtual disk. In that case, they
are in the same situation as people with real
hardware who already have data.

So in short, I would not make the install depend
on whether your hardware is real or not, but on
what data you already have on your disk :-)

Of course you can automatically change EMM386
options to work around some known VM bugs. Do
we know which of them exist and in which VM?

Note that real hardware can ALSO be affected:
For example VME helps a lot with DOS speed if
EMM386 is loaded, but the 2017 generation of
Ryzen had broken VME. So you may want to use
CPUID to detect those and add the VME command
line option for EMM386 only for all others.

A more "DOS age style" way to do this would be
to just add comments to config sys and start
with a high compatibility config, but invite
users to read the config files and edit them
at the commented places.

For example very few users may have DMA-broken
LiteON CD drives. A comment in the config file
can mention that UDVD2 /UX can be tried to make
such drives work, but the option should NOT be
added by default, because it wastes performance
for everybody with non-broken CD drives.

Another example is that VME and, even more so,
PGE are pretty safe and useful in EMM386, while
NOINVLPG (which excludes PGE) and NOVME might
be needed for some virtual hardware which has
known shortcomings in CPU emulation. So THAT
is something you could actually put into the
config based on VM detection: If people have
no VM, they will have to read the comment and
edit options manually if they are among those
rare users of incompatible CPU, but if they
do have a VM with known bugs, the safe command
line option could already be put automatically.

I still recommend using X=TEST, but not I=TEST,
on all hardware. See above about VME or NOINVLPG.

Other interesting EMM386 options: EMX, VERBOSE,
X2MAX=32767 and SB, which are all useful when
working on increased compatibility with "exotic"
apps and drivers, so they could be mentioned in
a config file comment for those who fail to spot
them in the rather long readme of EMM386 :-)

And last but not least, I suggest to load UHDD
before EMM386: This can reduce conflicts between
broken BIOS, which fail to do protected mode DMA
properly, and EMM386. Users who are not loading
EMM386 at all of course are less affected, but
their protected mode DOS apps might still be.

Thanks for considering all those :-)

Eric