Hi Karen,

On 24 Jun 2021, at 23:49, Karen Lewellen wrote:

> Links for DOS, for what it is,  opens some doors, but not all, something I
> would happily pay to see corrected.

I know the tunein.com website (I've used it myself from time to time).

I use a command line application (on MacOS) to access youtube videos and music
streams (The application is called mps-youtube and is written in Python). This
application is not a browser but is specially tailored towards youtube in such
that it uses the Youtube API and knows how to extract information from the
Youtube website.

I guess something similar would be theoretical possible for the tunein.com
website, even as a DOS application. However it would be much work to write such
an application, but less work than getting a general purpose browser such as
Links enhanced to be able to browse the tunein.com page.

One possible issue I see is that a page such as tunein.com could try to make
accessing the music streams without a full browser very difficult, as they
might change the page structure frequently. Webpages like tunein.com often make
their money through advertisement, and they try to prevent all ways that users
can access the content of the page without seeing the advertisements.

As far as I see, tunein.com does not provide the music/radio content themself,
but they aggregate content from other places (such as German radio stations).

So maybe to reach your goal, an alternative solution might be to have a command
line tool that aggregates web radio stations in the same way tunein.com does,
but without using the tunein.com website.

Still, creating such an application is quite difficult. I myself as a developer
would have no idea if under DOS it is possible to get useable audio streaming
via network.

If I was tasked by a customer to design a solution, I would write the frontend
in DOS (to browse and select the audio streams), and that front end would
communicate via network or serial like with a small Linux system (Raspberry PI
style) attached to the DOS computer. The Linux box would be doing the
downloading of the audio stream and the audio processing. The user would not
interact with the Linux system at all, all interaction would be on DOS, but the
Linux "box" would be a "hardware" extension for audio stream processing.

Greetings

Carsten