Hi Eric,
thank you very much for your help, really appreciated!

First of all, my drive letter issue has been solved... more or less.

In my first attempt, I picked the "Install to HD" menu item to see the available options, then chose to "Return to DOS". This way, I got A: as the main/current drive letter, which refers to the "FD13-CDBI" volume. This was the reason for my original post, since I believed this was the "standard" behavior.

Then, I rebooted the LiveCD and out of curiosity I picked the last menu item "FreeDOS is a trademark...": to my surprise, the system did boot, asking me if I wanted to install to HD. Upon my "no", FreeDOS came up with C: as the main/current drive letter (volume "FD13-HDX86"), assigning A: to the physical floppy drive!

Then I booted once again, this time picking the first menu item "Use FreeDOS 1.3 in live Environment mode", and the system loaded a LOT of packages it didn't bother to earlier, ending with R: as the main/current drive letter (volume "FD13-RAMDRV"), and with A: assigned to a new volume "FD13-HYDRA".

So, it seems that FreeDOS has (at least) three different behaviors about how to assign drive letters, one of which is fortunately suiting my needs. Albeit a bit confusing for my newbie skills, at least I can work from there now :)

Answering your questions.

My BIOS does support a single floppy drive, so I detached the original 3.5/1.44M drive and replaced it with the 5.25/360K. So there is just one floppy drive in the system. Supported drives are 5.25/1.2M, 3.5/720K, 3.5/1.44M, 3.5/2.88M.

The tool I've been suggested to use is Dave Dunfield’s ImageDisk (http://dunfield.classiccmp.org/img/), since it does not relies on BIOS settings; so, assuming the issue comes from the BIOS, it could allow me to read those disks.

Of course, it is at all possible that all those disks are gone for good, since they are 25 years old or so; indeed, I did manage to access the floppy drive from both Linux and FreeDOS (after my second boot, as above) and I always get "Can't read superblock" (Linux) or "Seek error" (FreeDOS) on the 5-6 disks I tried to read. BTW, it seems widely known that WinXP does not support 5.25/360K drives at all.

Now, I just have to find a way to bring the ImageDisk tool into FreeDOS... not so trivial when working from a CD with no access to floppy disks, USB drives, network and hard disks.

Oh well, I'll come up with something! :)

Thanks again!
Marco