Hello,

> On Aug 20, 2021, at 8:19 AM, Exilas <exi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Eric,
> thank you very much for your help, really appreciated!
>
> First of all, my drive letter issue has been solved... more or less.
>
> In my first attempt, I picked the "Install to HD" menu item to see the
> available options, then chose to "Return to DOS". This way, I got A: as the
> main/current drive letter, which refers to the "FD13-CDBI" volume. This was
> the reason for my original post, since I believed this was the "standard"
> behavior.

This boot method uses SYSLINUX/MEMDISK to boot an emulated floppy image to
simply install FreeDOS to the hard disk.

> Then, I rebooted the LiveCD and out of curiosity I picked the last menu item
> "FreeDOS is a trademark...": to my surprise, the system did boot, asking me
> if I wanted to install to HD. Upon my "no", FreeDOS came up with C: as the
> main/current drive letter (volume "FD13-HDX86"), assigning A: to the physical
> floppy drive!

This was shown in the FreeDOS 1.3-RC4 Easter Egg video.
https://youtu.be/SB17eypovvY <https://youtu.be/SB17eypovvY>
It uses a similar process. However, it boots a small emulated hard disk image.
This leaves the Floppies alone. It also requires no DOS level CD/DVD support.

> Then I booted once again, this time picking the first menu item "Use FreeDOS
> 1.3 in live Environment mode", and the system loaded a LOT of packages it
> didn't bother to earlier, ending with R: as the main/current drive letter
> (volume "FD13-RAMDRV"), and with A: assigned to a new volume "FD13-HYDRA”.

This method boots  a different Floppy Image and starts the process to bring the
LiveCD Environment up. And when possible, initializes a RAM drive as drive R:
and also if possible, transfers control and the DOS over to that drive and runs
the OS from there.

> So, it seems that FreeDOS has (at least) three different behaviors about how
> to assign drive letters, one of which is fortunately suiting my needs. Albeit
> a bit confusing for my newbie skills, at least I can work from there now :)

The USB images boot using the BIOS to support them directly as a Hard Drive.
Also, The Legacy CD does not use MEMDISK/SYSLINUX in favor of BIOS El Torito
Support.

So, basically there are 5 boot schemes. This of course does not count the CD
Boot Floppy or the Floppy Edition Release. But, those are just boot directly
from real floppy disk drives.

:-)

Jerome