Jerome,

> I’m not sure what version of UnRAR you are using.

I used these two upstream releases to repack the latest FreeDOS 1.3
release candidate:

1. ftp://ftp.rarlab.com/rar/rar250.exe for decompression.

FreeDOS ships the 16-bit UnRAR 2.50 binary from this release, and the
IDOS.SFX module inside is what provides scripting features.

2. ftp://ftp.rarlab.com/rar/wrar290.exe for compression.

The console RAR 2.90 binary from this release has the LFN support
needed for FreeDOS source packages.

> I’m not sure what you mean by installation scripting.

Run rar250.exe for a demonstration.  It can make the FreeDOS installer
look and behave like the MS-DOS installer.
(Screenshot attached.)

> Lets take a couple different install situations as examples.
> Situation 1, Installation onto basic 286 w/EGA ...
> Situation 2, Install for 486 w/VGA ...
> Situation 3, Install VirtualBox, (i686 compatible) ...

RAR implements the PKZIP listfile syntax, so the SETUP.BAT invocation
would change to this;

  SET TCPU=8086
  REM vinfo stuff goes here...
  unrar x freedos.rar @%TCPU%.txt

Where the @LISTFILE corresponds to a SLICER /G %TCPU% build command.

Or excluding things that don't run on an 8086 or 80286 processor could
be more concise:

  unrar x freedos.rar -x@%TCPU%.txt

>  requiring additional overhead for the install program and multiple passes
> through the spanned disks.

RAR does only one media pass.

(This is better than PKZIP, which reads the last floppy disk twice.)

> Honestly, I don’t really care about SLICER. Outside of the installer, it has
> almost no use and zero chance for any form of adoption by the community. I’d
> rather file it in the trash can, use an existing tool and work on other
> things. But to my knowledge, nothing else can do what it actually does in an
> acceptable manner.

The demo that I published can already do it.

What are your SLICER /G inputs when building the installation media?
-- I will redo the demo to more perfectly replicate current behavior.