On Fri, Dec 24, 2021 at 7:50 AM Bryan Kilgallin <kilgal...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> The comment against open-source DOS is at the end of this discussion.
> See after 26 minutes.

,<...>

The concern I see is "legacy" code.  There are millions of lines of
legacy code in production.  They were tested and debugged, and
considered bug free.  So you get things like the problems with "bind"
years back, where bad actors found a vulnerability they could use to
compromise systems.  The threats resulting did not exist when the bind
code was written, and it got incorporated into an enormous number of
things.

The Log4J vulnerability is another example.  Almost no programs are
self-contained now.  Just about everything uses libraries, which are
*inte3nded* to promote code reuse.  Log4J got incorporated into huge
numbers of Java projects.

So everyone faces the issue of fully understanding all of the parts
that make up their application, with what library functions are
called, and the practical impossibility of doing a full security audit
on all of it.  (Open source is one thing, but what if there is
proprietary code you can't get source for tmpm do the audit?  And no,
proprietary code will not go away in favor of open source. Tough.
Deal. And it assumes you are *competant* to perform a full security
audit.  Odds are, you aren't.)

Things will get fixed when someone *breaks* them.  Till then, everyone
has other things to do.

I'm aware of the Log4J vulnerability, but did not (and won't) wat6ch
the video.  I can *read* far faster than I can watch, and my scarce
resource is time.

But that said, I don't *care* that the chap on the video suggested DOS
should go away.  I'm a little surprised other folks do care. DOS, in
both commercial and open source versions, is still in use, and isn't
going away. It won't go away till folks stop using it.  His opinion is
simply irrelevant.
______
Dennis