Actually, there's a program called ka9q (and some derivatives such as tnos) that can handle all the internet stuff for you. They use packet drivers to handle the connections, and I remember I used to use them with some 3com 509 cards I had.  I ran my softcon.com domain off of ka9q for nearly a year when I first set it up back in 1996 before I got my linux box setup and transferred the domain to that.  The nice thing about using dos for your networking, (which someone else said way more eloquently than I could, paraphrasing here), is that since dos doesn't have a native tcp/ip stack, if the app dies, so does the tcp/ip connection, so you don't have to worry about folks exploiting your system to get in via backdoors. or buffer overruns.

So, in that vein, it's actually potentially  very useful thing to run your internet processes on a dos box, depending on what you're doing, since most hacking attempts can't succeed against you.

That's very important for some applications.