Hi everyone,

I have accidentally bumped into a killer app for FreeDOS. I can confirm that it works on FreeDOS with Voodoo 5500 and SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold with just HIMEMX and DOSLFN loaded. It will complain DOSLFN isn't there if it ain't there, but it still works. Perhaps Quake2 could become a FreeDOS package?

Here are the relevant links:

http://falconfly.3dfx.pl/downloads/Q2DOS_EXE_LATEST.7Z - mirror of the download

http://dk.toastednet.org/Q2DOS/ - project homepage

https://bitbucket.org/neozeed/q2dos/downloads/Q2DOS_EXE_LATEST.7Z - latest compile

In order to make this work, I:

- copied the gamedata off the CD (baseq2 directory)

- copied glide3x from voodoo/h5 directory (inside the game's own directory) into the game's root directory (where q2.exe and gl.exe are located)

- ripped the soundtrack into OGG containers encoded in FLAC for extra mileage, but it turns out the included OGG library doesn't support FLAC, so I'm using wav rips

It works great! Only thing however, is that in 1280x1024 the game hangs after a couple minutes of gameplay. Could be that my Voodoo 5500 is overheating. Wouldn't surprise me, since it's modded to be entirely passively cooled.

Best regards,

Michał