at 4:16 PM, andrea...@tiscali.it [1] wrote:

>> OK, it's an old
annoing question:I have a laptop with linux installed and I created
another dos / fat 32 partition where I installed freedos 1.3. (before
installing freedos I activated C:ms-dos with part.exe).
>> OK Freedos,
but disappears Linux MBR, and I can't anymore access linux although I
have grub installed.
>> With GAG cd live you see linux but it is not
loaded due to problems in the MBR.
>> The only way to repair the MBR and
log in again in linux was to use the BOOT REPAIR live cd.
>> Or another
way to solve the problem?
>> Thanks,
>> andrea
> During installation,
the installer creates two backups and stores them in C:FreeDOS as
BOOT.MBR and BOOT.BSS. The MBR is created by FDISK when it is told to
update the boot code. The second is created by the SYS command. You
should be able to use FDISK to restore the MBR.
> There is an excellent
free DOS utility called MBRTOOL. It is not open source and has some
other distribution restrictions. But, it is free and can be legally
distributed as-is. Do to those restrictions it cannot be included with
the FreeDOS release. But, you can grab a mirrored copy from my website
at https://fd.lod.bz/redist/disk/MBRtool/ [4] v1.x is much smaller than
v2.x. But, both work really well. It is a great tool to have laying
around for emergencies.
> :-)
> Jerome
> Thank you for your interest,
I will try to be more careful when I install freedos next time

andrea

>> Con Tiscali Mobile Smart 70 hai 70 GB in 4G, minuti
illimitati e 100 SMS a soli 7,99EUR al mese http://tisca.li/Smart70
[2]

Con Tiscali Mobile Smart 70 hai 70 GB in 4G, minuti illimitati e 100 SMS a soli
7,99€ al mese http://tisca.li/Smart70