> That sounds unnecessarily complex

Or interesting, I guess it depends on your perspective.

> You could run the DOS apps in a number of DOSEMU2 windows which can use
Linux directories as drives.

I did run this under DOSEMU on x86 Linux in the past, but I much prefer
QEMU over DOSEMU - for a number of reasons.  QEMU can run any guest OS,
DOSEMU only runs DOS.  QEMU can run on many host architectures and OSes,
DOSEMU can only run on x86 Linux.

But the original question was about DOS and Samba, I just happen to use
QEMU to run DOS, so I thought I'd mention it.

> which can use Linux directories as drives.

As far as I know/recall, you can not have multiple DOS instances with
read-write on the same shared linux folder.  This is a problem for a
multi-node BBS where all nodes need to be able to write to the filesystem.
Using MSCLIENT with SHARE is a period-correct solution (many BBS systems
have direct built-in support for this).

- Darrin