Hi,

On Wed, 17 Aug 2022 at 18:21, Bret Johnson <bretj...@juno.com> wrote:

> The first thing I think to note is that DOSShell was MUCH more than just a
> program launcher.  It include the same basic implementation and
> functionality that were in early versions of Windows (3.x) to perform
> task-switching.  With DOSShell, you could literally have several DOS
> applications running at the same time and switch between them with a few
> keystrokes.  This was similar to other task-switching programs from the
> same era, like DesqView and Software Carousel.  It sounds like that level
> of functionality is not required here.  I always found DOSShell to be
> "clunky" and even though I experimented with it a little I never really
> liked it for what I was trying to do.  I personally never tried any of the
> other task-switching programs besides DOSShell (and, of course, Windows).

Under DOS-Shell, there was the DOSSWAP to do the task switching. But quite
a different approach from  multitasking, specially the preemptive way that
appeared with Win386 (the VMM).
Unfortunately, for the simplest (and useful) easier uses, I do not know of
a free DOSSWAP replacement. I assume that such software would make copies
of DOS and BIOS global variables (such as the list of lists) and swap them
upon a task switch.

Aitor