On a Lenovo R400 laptop with an existing Fedora 39 KDE system, booted by
GRUB2, I decided to add a new partition and install FreeDOS 1.3.
The Intel Core2 DUO processor lacks VM extensions so I decided to install
on the SSD.  I resized the BRTFS partition to create a new 3 GiB FAT32
partition, labeled "DOS", on which to install.

Using the FD 1.3 Live CD I proceeded with installation:  If there was a
choice offered of where to install I missed it, but I was relieved to see
installation picked the DOS partition.  Using fdisk I verified the
existence of two Linux partitions and one FAT32 partition, which I made
active.  Installation failed, however, as I found I needed to format the
partition first.  I issued the command "format /s".  After doing so
installation carried to completion.

After reboot the machine booted into a menu of FreeDOS options and after
selecting one processed the initialization files and left me at a C:\
prompt.  However, I seem to have blitzed my Linux installation as the GRUB2
bootloader no longer appears nor loads Fedora 39.

My investigations into the repair of the MBR and attempts at restoration of
GRUB2 have been unsuccessful:  At this point neither Linux nor FD boot and
the machine BIOS complains about the parameters.  I am able to verify that
the Linux file system is intact by means of a Fedora 39 KDE Live .iso image
loaded onto a USB disk, and I have offloaded the contents of my Home
directory.

I could in other words reinstall the Linux system but as a learning
exercise I though I would see if GRUB could be rebuilt.  Supposing that
this may have happened to some other user, I am posting a question here,
asking for advice on how to handle this situation.

Thank you for your suggestions.

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>