On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 at 16:47, Charles Hudson via Freedos-user
<freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> I could in other words reinstall the Linux system but as a learning exercise
> I though I would see if GRUB could be rebuilt.

Sure, it can.

My suggestions are based around Ubuntu as I don't like Fedora much,
but the same general methods should apply.

On a different computer, get Ventoy and use it to format a USB key. It
does not need to be installed: run once and then delete it.

https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html

Onto your Ventoy key, copy:

* a current Fedora ISO file
* a current FreeDOS ISO file
* maybe a current Win10 ISO file for safety (it's a free download from
microsoft.com)
* I suggest some small additional tools such as a Gparted Live ISO and
a SystemRescue ISO
* Maybe a Universal Boot CD ISO

When you boot the key, it generates a menu on the fly to let you pick
what ISO to boot.

DOS generally likes to be the 1st active primary partition on an
MBR-formatted drive.

You can boot into a Fedora live session and use Gparted to move stuff
around to make that the case, if necessary.

Then reboot.

Fedora has very brief and not very helpful instructions here:
https://jfearn.fedorapeople.org/fdocs/en-US/Documentation/0.1/html/Fedora_Multiboot_Guide/GRUB-reinstalling.html

Fuller ones here but they assume your system works:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/grub2-bootloader/

Here are more general ones you can adapt:
https://www.fosslinux.com/115031/troubleshoot-boot-problems-by-reinstalling-grub-on-linux.htm

The Boot-repair tool may help you:
https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/

--