Wow that worked like a charm.

Couldn't the Freedos Kernel be updated to work that way? [Outside my skill set] Should I raise a bug / enhancement request?

Trevor

On 14/8/24 09:52, Louis Santillan wrote:

This is a known perf issue with older machines. For FAT16 (which 1GB should fit in), there's FREESP (https://github.com/ChartreuseK/FREESP). You may want to give that a try.

On Tue, Aug 13, 2024 at 4:11 PM Trevor Campbell via Freedos-user <freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

    I have Freedos installed on 8086 hardware using an SD Card with a 1Gb
    FAT-16 partition. (I have so far been unable to get a FAT-32
    partition
    to work)

    After boot the first time I run a `DIR` command e.g.

    ```

    C:\>dir

    ```

    The directory list returns quickly, but the number of bytes free
    takes
    another 30 seconds to appear. Subsequent `DIR` commands return
    immediately whether in the same directory or elsewhere.

    Now I realise my 8MHz 8086 is x,000 times slower than my linux
    notebook
    and the 1GByte partition is >30 times larger than the original hard
    drive in the machine from 1986, but am still wondering if this is
    just
    how it is or if there is some sub-optimal code somewhere in there
    that
    could be given a tweak.

    I dug through as much of the code as I could and found the free
    bytes is
    obtained by a DOS Interrupt call, int 21,7303 if implemented or int
    21,36 otherwise. I started digging through the kernel code, but
    unfortunately my x86 assembler knowledge is far to weak to make any
    headway there.

    Trevor