Hallo Herr Trevor Campbell via Freedos-user,

am Mittwoch, 14. August 2024 um 01:10 schrieben Sie:

> I have Freedos installed on 8086 hardware using an SD Card with a 1Gb FAT-16
> partition. (I have so far been unable to get a FAT-32 partition to work)

> After boot the first time I run a `DIR` command e.g.

> ```

C:\>>dir

> ```

> The directory list returns quickly, but the number of bytes free takes
> another 30 seconds to appear. Subsequent `DIR` commands return immediately
> whether in the same directory or elsewhere.

That's something in the design of DOS/FAT.
When the machine boots, it doesn't know the amount of free clusters on the disk.

When asked about free disk space, it has to read the entire FAT and count the
number of unused clusters. And it does so one sector of FAT data after he next
sector. that's no problem on a FAT16 drive with at most 256 sectors in the FAT,
but can be a problem for large FAT32 drives.

After this first time, DOS remembers the number of free clusters and keeps
track of them over creat, write, delete operation so it is much faster.

Tomoooooko