Hi,

On Sun, Aug 18, 2024 at 4:39 AM Nutilius via Freedos-user
<freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Off topic
> Which REXX interpreter are you using in DOS?

Regina 3.9.6 (DOS/4GW) was just released last May. That's pretty much
the most portable "classic" ANSI REXX.
I also have my older DJGPP build of Regina 3.9.3 for comparison. (Very
minor differences.)

I built BRexx 2.1.9 with DJGPP back in 2011. (TRL2, not ANSI, but still good)
I also recently got BRexx 1.3 and 2.1.0 to rebuild with TC++ / NASM
for 8086. (Default was BC++ 386 binaries.) The internal REXX stack
there is much more limited in max depth, affecting "dir (stack" and
"stack> sort" piping. It gets about 400k or 500k free memory ("say
storage()"). But it's fun to test under 8086tinyplus. (Note that BRexx
isn't GPL, or at least wasn't. He always wanted a fee for commercial
use. But his latest Github seems "GPL" these days, albeit no binary
releases!)

I plan to (also) publish those (original releases and sources, my
builds and patches) on my Google Drive. I need to clean up the patches
a bit (don't really need to rely on Sed just to use NASM instead of
TASM). TC++ 1.01 freeware lacks TASM, for instance.

There's also an old (1994) Quercus "Rexx Demo" DOS .EXE that is
limited to 50 lines per script (not counting multiple clauses or
external procedure files). It also runs under 8086tinyplus. Fun for
comparison.

Not sure if ooREXX or r4 will run under HX. I haven't tried. (I also
haven't tried compiling Rexx-IMC under DJGPP.)

It's a cool language. Howard Fosdick gives away his 2005 book for free
nowadays. Very informative.