This discussion got me thinking, always a dangerous proposal:

We are currently exposing record add with the lie that when you add a record, it has a type. THe reality is that a record is just this big collection of multi value attributes, and each of those is the "type" of the record.

If all of the 'records' have the same idnsname, then they really fall under the same Record object in LDAP.

What if we focuses on the attribtutes themselves, and add the type info there.

Pie in the sky proposal.   Treat it as a starting point:

From the webui perspective
dnsrecord-add allows the case where it just has the the idnsname with no "records"

dnsrecordattr-mod  takes record type specific values.

To add a location entry:

ipa dnsrecordattr-mod --append location --lat-deg=INT --lat-min=INT
--lat-sec=FLOAT --lat-dir=ENUM --lon-deg=INT --lon-min=INT --lon-sec=FLOAT
--lon-dir=ENUM --alt=FLOAT --h-precision=FLOAT --v-precision=FLOAT

And to remove it

ipa dnsrecordattr-mod --remove location --lat-deg=INT --lat-min=INT
--lat-sec=FLOAT --lat-dir=ENUM --lon-deg=INT --lon-min=INT --lon-sec=FLOAT
--lon-dir=ENUM --alt=FLOAT --h-precision=FLOAT --v-precision=FLOAT

mod2 is expected to work on a single attribute at a time.