On 09/21/2011 01:58 AM, Adam Tkac wrote:
On 09/16/2011 02:25 PM, Martin Kosek wrote:
On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 08:12 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
Whatever you do do not split this operation into a DEL+ADD, we want an
atomic modify operation in any case. as you do not want to have a race
where named may query the MX records and find them empty. That'd be much
worse than returning one of them outdated.

This means whatever the API we need to support a way to add all values
at the same time. We can also have the more verbose API to make things
more understandable, but we need this "bulk" API for the WebUI IMHO.
I agree, the change shouldn't be split to del+add. My proposed API:

dnsrecord-mx-mod example.com --dnsrecord="1 mx1.example.com." --preference=0

would do just one write to LDAP. Unfortunately, this is not so pretty
for CLI, one would have to copy&paste raw DNS value to be able to edit
its components, but it should be simple for WebUI. Right now, I don't
see some better way.

I thought about this CLI proposal and it is definitely a good start. In
the future we can consider to improve the CLI this way, for example:

$ dnsrecord-mx-mod example.com --preference=0
Which record would you like to change?
[1] 1 mx1.example.com.
[2] 10 mx2.example.com.
$<select the record>

This way will be more convenient for people which use CLI, especially
when we start to support DNSSEC and resource record types which store
certificates (CERT/SSHFP) get widely used. I doubt that someone likes
copying&pasting SHA* hashes and RSA signatures every time when some
record is modified.

Regards, Adam
Interactive mode is useful in some case. But can people still script with this CLI? I hope this CLI can still offer non-interactive mode so it would be more script-friendly.
BTW, I am a QA.

Yi