JR Aquino wrote:
On Feb 27, 2012, at 8:43 AM, Rob Crittenden wrote:

JR Aquino wrote:
ipa-server-install has a method for validating forward and reverse via
ipaserver/install/installutils.py
ipa-client-install does not currently have an equivalent
This patch adds valid_dns to ipapython/ipautil.py to validate foward and
reverse DNS
This patch adds the valid_dns test in ipa-client/ipa-install/ipa-client-install
to validate the dns of the FreeIPA server

Would it make sense to use verify_fqdn() from installutils.py?

Ya, I thought about that initially.

It cannot be done for the problem we are trying  to solve.

ipaserver/install/installutils.py

^ This only comes along via the installation of the server package.

We'd need to move this to ipapython to be usable by the client but it would do
a lot more checking and no code duplication.

We are trying to make sure that ipa-client-install on Client systems are
capable of doing the fwd/reverse and they don't receive any of the server rpms.

That is why this patch add's this functionality to ipapython.

I was thinking move verify_fqdn entirely into ipapython which is shared between the client and server. That way we have shared code for verifying hostnames during installation.