On 16.3.2012 14:14, Petr Viktorin wrote:
I may be taking things out of context, but I see this:

On 03/16/2012 02:07 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Jan Cholasta wrote:
On 29.2.2012 15:50, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Petr Viktorin wrote:
On 02/27/2012 11:03 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
.. snip ..

Patch 17 makes these options honor params marked no_create and
no_update.

.. snip ..

*attr is specifically made to be powerful. We don't want to
arbitrarily
block updating certain values.

.. versus ..

I see the problem now: the certificate subject base is defined as a
multi-value attribute in the LDAP schema. If it's changed to
single-value the existing validation should catch it.

.. snip ..

The framework should be able to impose its own single-value will as
well. If a Param is designated as single-value the *attr should honor
it.

Is that so? Isn't *attr supposed to allow the user to modify attributes
at LDAP level, i.e. skip the usual framework constraints?

If we make rules around an attribute they should be honored. If we have
not then all bets are off.

*attr was never really made to manage those attributes that IPA knows
about, despite most of the testing being around that. It was to provide
a way to manage things we don't support yet.

which strikes me as inconsistent.

Yes, exactly.