Hi,

On 28.2.2014 17:49, Petr Viktorin wrote:
Hello!

This moves ipalib.text to ipapython.
Why do we want this?

Firstly, it's a step towards breaking the ipapython dependency on
ipalib, which is something we vaguely want to do in the long run for the
sake of clean code and potential reuse.

But there's another reason: The DNS plugin defines some validators that
are used elsewhere. I'd like to eventually move them to ipapython, so
the DNS plugin can be made optional
(https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/4058).
The validators use on ipalib.text, so that has to be moved to ipapython
(where I think it belongs).

The validators are not used in ipapython, right? So why move them there? Also, the plan with DNS is to use python-dns where possible AFAIK, which will probably make most of the validators go away.

Anyway, localization does not seem like a thing that a generic util module like ipapython should be bothered with, I would prefer if it stayed in ipalib and friends.

The gettext wrappers in turn depend on the context, which I'd rather see
in ipalib, but it's literally one line of code so it's not a big burden
to have in ipapython. In the future we can think about somehow
extracting it and moving it back, if needed.

I really don't see how tainting ipapython with stuff that is pure ipalib will make the code cleaner.

(And the first patch is just some general cleanup.)

ACK on that.

Honza