On ti, 11 loka 2016, Petr Spacek wrote:
On 11.10.2016 10:04, Jan Cholasta wrote:
On 11.10.2016 09:36, Petr Spacek wrote:
On 11.10.2016 09:00, Jan Cholasta wrote:
Hi,

On 7.10.2016 11:56, Petr Spacek wrote:
Dear FreeIPA developers and packagers,

you can find first version of the Build system refactoring design document
on:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Build_system_refactoring

If you do not care about implementation details, please be so kind and
quickly
scan through chapter
http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Build_system_refactoring#Feature_Management

I'm not an FreeIPA packager so I might miss some important thing which needs
to be configurable.

1) There should be a --with-python switch to select the version of Python to
use in our command line tools and/or during build. The default would be
"python", i.e. the default Python interpreter found in the path.

Okay. Can we pick some descriptive name?

--with-default-python
or
--with-<something-else>-python?

I think that it would be confusing if we had just
--with-python
--with-python2
--with-python3

If the default values are "python", "python2", "python3" respectively, I don't

These need to be full paths. I hope that some autoconf detection logic will
help with autodetection.

think it would be confusing, since most of the time you only need to specify
--with-python, if anything.

Okay, let me be explicit: It *is* confusing for me. Would you be okay with
--with-default-python ?

Do we even need --with-python2 and --with-python3? I think they would only
make sense if you had multiple Python minor versions installed and wanted to
make packages for all of them.

AFAIK autoconf-style is to provide these for options where path to external
binary is needed. I would like to keep these conventions to avoid NIH syndrome
in the new build system.

Also, --without-python2/--without-python3 is needed anyway to disable this
part of build on systems without Python X version. I want to keep this
explicit (as with any other optional part of the build).
Why so complex? Allow --with-python to be specified multiple times and
enable all python versions that resolve through --with-python specified
executables:

 --with-python=/bin/python2 --with-python=/bin/python3

would enable both Python 2 and Python 3. Specifying none will enable
default version found on the system. Specifying one will enable
explicitly only one.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy