On Mon, 23 Sep 2019, Vinícius Ferrão via FreeIPA-users wrote:
Florence and Angus, thanks for the replies.

xCAT definitely can run scripts at boot time. And the kickstart method seems to
be the way to go. But I sill have some questions:

The nodes are stateless, so in a reboot all the configuration is lost and get
back from the image. FreeIPA configuration will be lost and then restarted.
Which appears to be ok. But there are two issues:

* The password for “joining” the FreeIPA domain that expires after the first use
* The necessity of the hostname on the ipa-client-install command:
hostname=client.example.com <http://client.example.com/>

With this two things I think we are unable to move forward, so the first
question is:

1. Do I really need this password? Or better, the password can be
permanent? It’s a “closed” system, so in terms of security I think
there’s no problem.
Please check ipa-client-install manual page. It has all explanations for
methods of enrollment. You can create a special user that has privileges
to create machines and enroll them and record the user's credentials in
the kickstart file.

2. Ipa-client-install can’t use the hostname of the node automatically?
Do I really need to fill the hostname? Because this kills the ideia of
a generic image.
This is also covered in the man page. In short, there is no need to
supply hostname explicitly, it will be discovered.

Thank you all guys.