On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 10:12 PM Rob Crittenden via FreeIPA-users
<freeipa-users@lists.fedorahosted.org> wrote:

> White, Daniel E. (GSFC-770.0)[NICS] via FreeIPA-users wrote:
> > Are there settings in FreeIPA similar to the setting available from the
> > chage command ?  I am specifically looking for a setting for the time
> > after a password expires to allow the user to update it.
> >

> > I am looking for the same "grace period" that the non-IPA shell password
> > has. From the change man page:
> >
> > -M, --maxdays MAX_DAYS
> > Set the maximum number of days during which a password is valid. When
> > MAX_DAYS plus LAST_DAY is less than the current day, the user will be
> > required to change his/her password before being able to use his/her
> > account.
> > -I, --inactive INACTIVE
> > Set the number of days of inactivity after a password has expired before
> > the account is locked. The INACTIVE option is the number of days of
> > inactivity. A user whose account is locked must contact the system
> > administrator before being able to use the system again.
> >

> > I find nothing like this in the documentation.
> >
> > I do know, however, that when a user is initially created, the password
> > expire time is set to the current clock time.
> > When the user logs in for the first time, they are prompted to change
> > their password.
> > I am looking for a parameter -- like chage's INACTIVE -- that defines a
> > grace period from the time the password expires until the account is
> > locked and requires admin intervention.
> >
> > Or does that only happen for the account creation ?
>
> There is nothing automated to do this. Theoretically you could use
> krbprincipalexpiration to enforce this but there is nothing that will
> add some offset to it when a password is changed.
>
> I think it would be fairly straightforward to add but it would require a
> new policy attribute, new CLI/UI to manage that attribute, etc.

Or ipa-epn ( https://pagure.io/freeipa/issue/3687 ) could be enhanced
to do that.
It is able to warn users their passwords will expire in the near
future ; locking accounts might require running on a replica but
adding that feature should be straightforward.

> The actual setting of the attribute is probably like 5 lines of code.

Yes, the change is probably very small.

> rob
  • [Freeipa-users] Pass... White, Daniel E. (GSFC-770.0)[NICS] via FreeIPA-users
    • [Freeipa-users]... Rob Crittenden via FreeIPA-users
      • [Freeipa-us... François Cami via FreeIPA-users
        • [Freeip... White, Daniel E. (GSFC-770.0)[NICS] via FreeIPA-users
          • [Fr... François Cami via FreeIPA-users
        • [Freeip... White, Daniel E. (GSFC-770.0)[NICS] via FreeIPA-users
          • [Fr... Rob Crittenden via FreeIPA-users
            • ... White, Daniel E. (GSFC-770.0)[NICS] via FreeIPA-users
              • ... Rob Crittenden via FreeIPA-users
      • [Freeipa-us... White, Daniel E. (GSFC-770.0)[NICS] via FreeIPA-users