When attempting to setup a domain client to query the domain for automounts, we
see the following:

ipa-client-automount --location=default
Searching for IPA server...
Autodiscovery was successful but didn't return a server

If we specify a server it works:

ipa-client-automount --location=default --server idm1.domain.com
IPA server: idm1.domain.com
Location: default
Continue to configure the system with these values? [no]:

This implies that the client will only query this server for automount entries,
rather than all IPA replicas, so therefore it is not a redundant configuration.
My question is how to populate DNS entries so that the command can find the
server(s) automatically. We are using an external DNS service, so this may
explain why the command is unable to find automount servers?