On 08/08/2014 08:57 AM, brendan kearney wrote:

Kerberos is dependent on A records in dns. The instance (as in principal/instance@REALM) should match the A record in dns.

There is absolutely no Kerberos dependency on hostnames being fully qualified. I have all my devices named with short names and I have no issues with Kerberos ticketing.

This seems to be an artificial requirement in FreeIPA that is wrong.

The other hostname requirement is for TLS/SSL, for MITM checking. By default, when an SSL server cert is issued, the subject DN contains cn=fqdn as the leftmost component. clients use this fqdn to verify the server. That is, client knows the IP address of the server - client does a reverse lookup (i.e. PTR) to see if the server returned by that lookup matches the cn=fqdn in the server cert. This requires reverse lookups are configured and that the fqdn is the first name/alias returned.