On 08/08/2014 10:56 AM, brendan kearney wrote:

Arent all of those lookups done in dns?

Yes.

Wouldnt that mean hostnames being fqdn's is irrelevant?

Not sure what you mean.

I guess if you issued your server certs with a subject DN of "cn=hostname", instead of "cn=hostname.domain.tld", and you had the DNS PTR lookups configured so that w.x.y.z returned "hostname" instead of "hostname.domain.tld", then TLS/SSL would work.