The ENCRYPT() function should be the one to use since MySQL just passes it
through to your systems crypt() function.  I know on the American version
of the crypto libs on FreeBSD(using export controlled crypto) and Linux you
can control the type of password created by the salt that was used to
create the hash.

A good test is to to encrypt in MySQL the same password you use to login to
your UNIX box passing it the system hashed version (out of /etc/passwd
or /etc/shadow) of the password as the salt. ie

SELECT ENCRYPT('mypass','<hashedpass>');

MySQL should return an exact copy of <hashedpass>.  If not then it is
possible that MySQL is linked to the wrong crypto libs.

I have FreeRadius running on 4 RH7 boxes using both DES and MD5 crypted
hashes and have had no problems.  With the exeption of some old FreeBSD
hashes that used a 16 character MD5 salt.

Joe

> Thanks to Scott Bartlett's kind help, my radiusd now queries MySQL for
> usernames/passwords, but I don't know how to encrypt the latter. Hence,
>  by now I always get authentication failures. I tried encrypt() and
> md5(). I hereby annoy you a second time asking for help. ;)
>
> --
> Juan Carlos Castro y Castro | "Standing up to an evil system is
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]      | exhilarating." -Richard Stallman
> Rio de Janeiro - Brazil     | http://www.vialink.com.br/~jcastro
> DC4DC #25                   | chmod a+x /bin/laden
>

> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

Joe Modjeski
Systems Administrator