On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, John Blumel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking into using RADIUS for authentication of remote dial-in and VPN users
>and,
> since I'm completely new to RADIUS, I was hoping I could pose a few questions to the
> list...
>
> 1. freeRADIUS is officially listed as beta software but is anyone using it in
> production and/or do you feel that it is mature and stable enough to do so.

Yes, we are using it with ldap authentication,mysql accounting with 3 nases (2
cisco 2500 and one 5300) for around 15000 users for the last month and until now
it is working quite ok. I think that the server is stable enough to use in a
production environment.

> 2. We would like to give users the ability to change their passwords and since, as
>far
> as I can tell, this is not a built-in feature of freeRADIUS or any other RADIUS
>server
> I was wondering what strategies people are using to allow this other than simply
>using
> Auth-Type = System and having them telnet to the RADIUS server and change their
> password.

It all depends on the underlying user database. Freeradius can use system
files,pam,ldap,mysql and other user authentication schemes, so ultimately the
choise for password changes is up to you.

--
kkalev

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html