> "McNutt, Justin M." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >   PAM does username/password authentication, nothing else.
> >
> > Not so.  PAM can provide several different authorization
> functions as
> > well.
>
>   ... and for authentication, it does username/password (or
> equivalents)

But RADIUS does more than authentication, which is my point.  RADIUS is responsible
for both authentication - via username/password - and authorization - via attribute
pairs.

So my original question, slightly reworded, is "If PAM is able to authenticate me
correctly, which it does, why does FreeRADIUS still return a reject unless there is a
local account?"  This would seem to be a function of what FreeRADIUS requests of PAM.

> > I figured this one out.  FreeRADIUS has an option to delay
> the response.
> >  This delay - even if set to only a second or two - is more than the
> > BayStack is willing to wait.
>
>   Then the BayStack is a piece of crap.

Was this observation really necessary.  I provided the information above for
everyone's use, not for value judgements of the BayStack.

The BayStack is *not* a piece of crap, despite the fact that it doesn't do RADIUS
authentication in the best possible way.

>   That's why FreeRADIUS isn't a piece of crap, and is configurable.

I agree, with the reservation that while FreeRADIUS works very well and is highly
configurable, there is a severe lack of documentation (which is somewhat reasonable
since it is still in 0.xx versions) and its developers are extremely opinionated and
sensitive to criticism.  :-/

>   Of course, you've now opened yourself up to a DoS attack, but that's
> life.

True.  However I need to deal with the problems in my network one at a time.  Right
now, convenient authenticated access to the switches for our administrators is the
larger problem.  I have several Nortel folks to whom I can speak about improvements to
the RADIUS code if I need to address those other problems later.  They have been
listening when it comes to security issues in general (for example, they are
implementing SNMPv3 quite soon), so I am confident that this is not a waste of time.

THEREFORE, my biggest worry at the moment is how I can use FreeRADIUS to authenticate
people logging into BayStacks, using PAM as the local authentication method on the
RADIUS server side *without* having to create user accounts on the RADIUS server for
every switch admin.

--J

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html