> We're happily using FreeRADIUS under FreeBSD - recently, I've
> been asked to
> setup a vendor-specific reply for some of our users.
>
> I've been asked to send a Vendor 0x9 (Cisco) Attribute #26
> Type 0x1 reply,
> with a specific value which the remote system will use.
>
> Thinking I was doing the right thing - I edited the
> dictionary.cisco and
> commented out the Attribute #26 already in there
> ("h323-call-origin") -
> which I renamed as 'tdxtest'.
>
> Is the correct (or one correct?) way to do things? - How do I
> (or do I
> need) to specify the "Attribute Type" of 0x1 - I have a hunch
> this is what
> the 'string' bit does.

I'm not sure about your second question, but we certainly have had no troubles editing
the dictionary files.  You might send your additions to Alan and/or the maintainers of
the dictionaries (they may list themselves in the file header) so you don't have to
edit things every time you reinstall.

Either way, you might want to do an $INCLUDE and have your additions as a separate
file, again so that your changes don't get overwritten when you do your next upgrade
(you'll only have to replace the $INCLUDE directive itself, which is easy).

> The remote side say they get a Vendor 0x9 (Cisco) attribute #26 - but
> they're system says it's a bad attribute.
>
> Anyone got any pointers / suggestions?

Yes.

There   = indicates direction "over there"
Their   = indicates possession "their system" (see above)
They're = contraction of "they are"

:-)

Seriously, though, editing the dictionary files is common practice, at least around
here.  The biggest thing is that if you think you're adding things that really ought
to be part of the stock dictionary, let someone know so it can be added to the distro
(and make sure the vendor doesn't mind).

--J

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html