User for Free Radius mail list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In the radiusd.conf file:
> The "Cache" setup does not work if you do not use shadow passwords. If the
> "shadow" line is left at the default value: (ie commented out)

  Yes... your system has shadow passwords, so if you want to cache
them, you've go to read the shadow password file.

  Where, exactly, did you expect the cached passwords to be read from?
Not all systems have fgetpwent()...

> If you say "no" to the "cache" option:
..
> It loads up just fine.

  Of course.  Because it doesn't cache the passwords, it can use
getpwent() to get the password, which is a system call which knows
where the password files are located.

> Is there something I'm missing or is the the default behavior of this
> setup?

  Some knowledge of how Unix systems are set up should help.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html