On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 13:22, BUTTI Laurent FTRD/DTL/ISS wrote:
> My Orinoco AP-2000 seems to send 2 broadcast and 1 unicast WEP keys.

ok. I don't really see the point in distributing more than one
broadcast key, but of course it nothing wrong with doing it.

> > Not quite. It will send (at least) two EAPOL-Key messages but the
> unicast
> > one does not include the actual key.
>
> Ok.
> Do you have any traces ? I would want to know how different EAPOL-Key
> frames are
> different from
> Orinoco and Cisco...

I don't have the traces handy right now. I'll dig them out and send them
tomorrow.

> > > * I didn't tested re-keying on Cisco, but if Cisco use MPPE-Send-Key
> > > have data-link ciphering with WEP (truncating the MPPE-Send key); it
> is
> > > necessary to have a full re-authentication if we want a real
> > > "re-keying", am i wrong ?
> >
> > I think you're correct. One could think of other schemes that would
> handle
> > this though, see this thread for instance:
> >
> http://www.mail-archive.com/freeradius-users@;lists.cistron.nl/msg07532.h
> tml
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/freeradius-users@;lists.cistron.nl/msg07532.
> html>
>
> So supplicants must support these different scheme, for migitating
> interoperability issues. It is
> probably the case for WindowsXP, what about Xsupplicant ?

What I meant to say is that the problem _could_ be solved in other ways.
As far as I know the scheme discussed in the thread I referenced isn't
actually implemented by anyone.

> Moreover, firmware and drivers of WLAN cards should be critical for
> re-keying, as
> 802.1X support
> must be acheived, but not re-keying in my opinion (only i/o instructions
> change/delete/bind keys, but no management of 802.1X
> state). Am i wrong ?

You are right.

> > or
> >
> > Get the MPPE-{Send/Recv}-Keys generated by the RADIUS server, e.g.
> > by having the rlm_eap_tls module log them. Capture the EAPOL-Key
> > messages sent by the AP and decrypt the key fields to get the WEP
> > keys. Capture data frames sent between the AP and the STA, decrypt
> > them and verify the ICV (or verify that the MSDU is correct some
> > other way).
>
> Ok.
>
> Validation of re-keying should work as follows :
> - Decrypt MPPE-Send-key in RADIUS frames by using shared secret.

Yes. Although it may be quicker to modify the rlm_eap_tls module to log
the keys it sends instead (just a couple of lines of code).

> - Find WEP keys :
>     - If Cisco : Truncate MPPE-Send-Key previously found to the WEP key
> lenght,
> for Unicast WEP key. And decrypt EAPOL-Key {Broadcast}with
> MPPE-Send-Key, to find
> WEP broadcast key.
>     - If Orinoco : Decrypt EAPOL-Key { Unicast | Broadcast } with
> MPPE-Send-Key.

Or rather, if the Key field is present decrypt it to find the WEP key,
otherwise truncate the MS-MPPE-Send-Key to the correct length to get the
WEP key.

Also, if the Key field is present it is encrypted with the Key IV field
concatenated with the MS-MPPE-Recv-Key (not with the MS-MPPE-Send-Key).

> - Decrypt data link WEP-protected frames by using previously recovered
> keying
> material.

Yes.

> This should work with every Supplicant <=> Authenticator <=>
> Authentication
> Server, without any trust of any entity.

Yes.

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html