I seem to be having the same issue.. seems to happen randomly about once a week on a production server running a simple perl backend for authentication.

snippet of log...
Thu Nov 14 15:26:38 2002 : Error: WARNING: Unresponsive child (id 65559) for request 13464
Thu Nov 14 15:26:38 2002 : Error: WARNING: Unresponsive child (id 66584) for request 13465
Thu Nov 14 15:26:39 2002 : Error: CHILD: exit on signal (11)

Now this is a production server recently upgraded from v0.3 to v0.7.1. v.0.3 did not crash like this. As soon as you get those errors all instances of radius crash and burn. Let's just say if a external auth process gets stuck, why is the entire radius server bombing and not just that thread aborting? Seems goofy to me.

At 10:13 AM 10/30/2002 -0500, you wrote:
Igor Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The main reason of core dumping was delay after sending request to
> database. Trigger on UPDATE became too slow (UPDATE request was handled
> ~40 - 60 sec.)

  This problem should be addressed in the documentation in flaming
letters 10 feet high.  If the back-end database takes more than 5
seconds to respond to a request, then the RADIUS server will not be
able to authenticate people.

  Once the database is broken, the RADIUS server (which depends on the
database) can't be any better.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html