Hello,

I have two redhat 8 linux servers running freeradius 0.8.1, with pppd
(2.4.2b1) using the radius plugin. Each server is configured such that
if the local radius server fails then the other one is used by the
radius plugin.

By stopping radius on one server I can see (using radiusd -xx) that the
users are being authenticated on the other server and that a reply is
being sent back. However on the local server the log file is showing

  Feb  4 18:42:51 fred pppd[1784]: rc_send_server: no reply from RADIUS
  server localhost:1812
  Feb  4 18:42:51 fred pppd[1784]: rc_check_reply: received invalid
  reply digest from RADIUS server
  Feb  4 18:42:51 fred pppd[1784]: CHAP peer authentication failed for

Google has little about the 'invalid reply digest' but it seems to
generally be due to a mismatch in the shared secrets. I have, however,
checked and rechecked the secrets in the freeradius clients.conf file
and the pppd /etc/radiusclient/servers file. I have also completely
changed the secrets, for testing, to a simple name like 'fred'. Not too
much chance of getting it wrong :-) However, I still get the same error
message.

Anyone any thoughts about this, or what I can try next?

Thanks,

John.